Note: You should only run one malware or antivirus tool at a time. Never install multiple versions of antivirus on your computer at the same time. This can significantly impact your system performance. On our systems, we commonly install antivirus and Malwarebytes (Anti-malware) together.
This list is specific to malware which many antivirus systems will not detect. These tools may completely clean your system, at a minimum they will help you identify an active threat. Some malware infections will only be partially removed by the following tools. If the same threat is consistently detected after cleaning then you are likely dealing with an advanced persistent threat. This type of infection may require manual intervention to clean properly.
- Malwarebytes - A great general purpose malware tool. Most importantly, Malwarebytes is designed to work with your existing antivirus. Runs on Windows XP/Vista/7/8
- ADWcleaner - AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for : Adware (ads softwares), PUP/LPI (Potentially Undesirable Program), Toolbars, and Hijackers (Hijack of the browser's homepage). It's compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7/8.
- Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool - Microsoft has really stepped up to the plate with new tools. This works on most newer versions of windows. Runs on Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 & Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2012 R2
- Combofix - Scans your computer for malware and attempts to clean infections automatically. ComboFix also displays a report that can be used to remove malware that is not automatically removed. Runs on Windows XP/Vista/7/8.
- eset scan - An always up to date online scanner.