Fix Windows 10 VPN and WiFi menu function
The Windows 10 VPN connecting GUI is horrible. You cannot connect to VPN from the tray icon popup. Instead, after you find your VPN on the list and click it, you are redirected to the VPN manager. Win 8.1 was much better allowing you to connect to a VPN directly from the flyout. An additional UI problem with Windows 10 is scrolling the WiFi/VPN list is much harder. Frequently I end up clicking on an item while trying to grab the scroll bar. With windows 8.1 this bar is much easier to navigate, especially when your list has many networks populated.
You can get the Win 8 flyout menu style back, with connecting and disconnecting VPNs directly in the menu, sorted by name and connected networks at the top:
- Open regedit (WIN+R and type regedit.exe)
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Settings\Network
- Take ownership of the “Network” key/folder (right click, Permissions)
- Select “Advanced” in the Permissions window
- In the Advanced window, select “Change” where the owner field is (at the top of the window)
- Type in your username and save your changes.
- Close the advanced window
- Now select “Administrators” in the security tab
- Make sure “Full control” is selected, then apply changes
- Now that’s done, double click “ReplaceVan”
- Change it’s value to 2
- Enjoy connecting and disconnecting from your VPNs in one place!